Tuesday 3 September 2019

Enjoy The Rocket Ride!

Hello my crafty friends

Welcome to Karen Burniston's Designer Challenge for September 2019, where the theme is: "ENJOY THE RIDE" - use the Train Pivot Panels or the Rocket Pop-up for a card of any theme.


Note, I have some 'how to' photos below the finished card ones for those that are interested.

I chose to make a Birthday Card for our Grandson and I used both the Rocket Pop Up AND the Train Pivot Panel die set.

First I created three galaxy background panels using Pan Pastels (a highly pigmented chalk media), a sponge, some pearlized paint spatters and I was REALLY happy with how well they turned out. For the panel that is on the front of the card, I first masked off the white area with painters tape and did the chalk sponging over the tape. Once everything was sprayed and dry I removed the tape and had this perfect white strip to adhere the die cut words to.



I used the 'THE' die to cut through the white piece, then backed the opening with a small scrap of the aqua card stock. I like adding small details like this to my cards. Then I added the rest of the greeting from Enjoy The Ride and a pair of the Space Charms with the hanging holes snipped off.



I had been wanting to try my Train Pivot Panel adaptation with acetate, so that is what I went with for my Designer Challenge card today. Fair warning though - working with acetate that needs to fold in a certain way is not for the faint of heart. The final effect is fabulous, but you have to be prepared for bumps in the road and give yourself lots of time. As I show in the video, the acetate has quite the memory and this card just SPRINGS open! Which is quite fun, actually.

Another note, is that with the chalky Pan Pastels and the hairspray used to seal in the colour - adhesives would not work. Not wet glue, not Red Liner tape - nothing stuck. I resorted to using brads and small staples, which are shown on the In Progress photos at the end of the post. They hold everything quite securely and turned out to be a good way to adhere the acetate.

Here is the card opened, and likely how it will be displayed. I added his name with the Alpha, and used stars from various other KB die sets which are listed in the supplies below. 



I added a stamped blond boy to show through the window and added a few more space charms as embellishments. The rocket was placed very carefully so in the closed position it wouldn't stick out the bottom of the card. With the addition of the martian on top I was right at the bottom edge. There was a small portion of the acetate train engine sticking out past the rocket, which was easily trimmed away with scissors.



The Happy Birthday was cut twice from white card stock and adhered together for stability, but then I felt there was too much contrast from the rest of the card. I added some silver Nuvo Drops and liked it much better.

This card is very bulky, but I since we will be hand delivering it that is not a concern.



While I am getting requests to do YouTube video's showing how I create my cards, that is beyond my technical ability at this point. So I thought I'd take a few photos as I was working to help those that have questions. But first, here is a short YouTube video showing this card 'in action'.



Below you can see the 'almost done' galaxy backgrounds, done with a simple sponge and Pan Pastels. I just added random colours, starting with a yellow. Then I added a little orange around the yellow, some purple and then two different blues. I don't overthink these things - they are supposed to be random and no two will be the same. 

When I tested the background with a tissue, the colour still rubbed off so I then sprayed the panels with hairspray to seal them. This also brightens the colours a fair bit!



Then I added some white shimmer paint to an acrylic block and spattered the backgrounds with a wet paintbrush. I repeated the process with the gold shimmer paint. And boy, did I have a MESS. I think I spattered everything in a two foot radius and I needed to do a fair bit of clean up. Next time I spatter I will be doing it inside a box.


Next I cut the Train Pivot Panel from acetate and this is where I discovered that adhesives won't stick to the chalk & hairspray backgrounds. Ha. I used a small stapler on the two areas it would reach, then ended up going with brads on the others. Not the look I was going for but as you can see in the finished card it is just fine.



I hope you've enjoyed my card today - be sure to check out what the rest of the design team has come up with for the challenge. Their blogs are linked on the right. Karen Burniston will have her project on her blog on Wednesday September 4th.
Supplies:
1106 Train Pivot Panel - Karen Burniston
1105 Rocket Pop-up - Karen Burniston
1007 Charm Accordion (small star)
1009 Space Charms - Karen Burniston
1030 Happy Birthday, cut 2x from heavyweight card stock - Karen Burniston
1057 Circles Crosshatch - Karen Burniston
1103 Enjoy the Ride - Karen Burniston
1046 Circle Charm Pop-Up stitched star - Karen Burniston
1053 Alphabaet - Karen Burniston
White, teal, aqua and dark blue card stock
Pan Pastels
Hairspray
Gold & White shimmer paints - Stampin' Up
Black Olive Ink - Your Next Stamp
Chameleon markers
Sakura white gel pen
Stickles
12 x 12" acetate from my stash, no name on it
Silver Nuvo Drops
W1 Copic marker
Silver foil card stock scrap
Green Stardream grad stock
Black Sharpie
Small Stapler - Tim Holtz

Card size  5 x 6", fits in a 5 x 7" envelope


Thanks for stopping by today

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Your card is amazing!!! Such a clever use for the Train Pivot die. Thanks for the extra tips on how you put it together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally awesome!! You know I love using acetate on pop ups. I like your galaxy in brighter colours, most are done in back and a dark purple (Seedless Preserves). Ilai will love it I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great idea to use the acetate for the pop up panel ... such an amazing card as always

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an amazing card. It is super fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Karen, that is totally incredible!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I appreciate each one!