Tuesday 1 January 2019

Karen Burniston January 2019 Designer Challenge

Happy New Year!


We are starting off the New Year with a BANG ... specifically, Karen Burniston's Designer Challenge. The first one of 2019 and the theme is "NEW: try something new to you. Is it a technique? A color scheme? A style (cute? grungy?) Here's your chance to usher in the new year with something new."

With a theme of new, and the first day of a brand new year, a Happy New Years card was the first thing I thought of doing. But I didn't have a need for one, so rather than make a card just to make a card, I decided to try a NEW-TO-ME technique using the Snowman Twist Circle. This was based on Karen Burniston's amazing card and accompanying video for her November 2019 Designer Challenge. I will link the video at the end of the post.

I kept the front fairly simple, using a NEW sheet of patterned paper that I couldn't resist purchasing. I'm still amazed I only picked up the one 12 x 12" sheet and not more because I love nature images like this. I added the large Happy Birthday and a single brown tree as a lead in ...



Here is the card as it is opening, and you can see there are a bunch more trees inside.



Fully open, the card displays a little 'forest' with a deer silhouette in the background.





I used the Crosshatch Rectangles as a framed area for my sentiment. With all the roundness in the background paper I wanted to break that up with some straight edges.




The deer is from the Outdoor Scene die set, which is another set that stays out on my stamping table all the time because I reach for it so often.



Finally, for those that like to pin card fronts and insides together ... here you go!



I hope you will check out what the rest of the Design Team came up for this Designer Challenge - their blogs are all linked on the right. Karen Burniston will have her project and a group post tomorrow (Wednesday) on her BLOG.

If you want to check out Karen Burniston's complete 'how to' video for her card that inspired mine, click HERE.

Supplies:
Kraft, brown and tan card stocks
Patterned paper - Carta Bella
1012 Snowman Twist Circle Pop-Up - Karen Burniston
1062 Evergreen Pivot Panel - Karen Burniston
1045 Outdoor Scene - Karen Burniston
1030 Happy Birthday - Karen Burniston
1054 Rectangles Crosshatch - Karen Burniston
Word stamp - Papertrey Ink
Marvy Marker

Card size - 4-1/4 x 5", fits in a standard A2 envelope.


Thanks for stopping by today

3 comments:

  1. Just love this. You did a fan tas tic job with the paper and die

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing card, it creates quite an illusion of a deep forest between the pattern paper and the trees; it made me look twice! I also need an occasion or have someone in mind to make a card for. This one is sure to please the recipient you have in mind!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I appreciate each one!