Wednesday 1 January 2020

Double Surprise Ball Birthday Card

Hello crafty friends ...


Let's start the New Year off with a BANG (my news) ... and a BOING (my card).

Before I get to my card details, I wanted to share the exciting news that I will be joining the Your Next Stamp Design Team!!! It's no secret that I've been a huge YNS fan the past couple of years. I'm honoured to have been asked to join their team and am looking forward to sharing lots more YNS creations with you in 2020. You can check out the Your Next Stamp Blog for the announcement details by clicking HERE

Now for my card ... I was inspired by Dr. Sonia on Instagram where she shared a triple Surprise Ball, but she was using Karen Burniston's original die that has long been retired. It made a larger ball and required a larger card base, which is why KB re-worked the die for card makers. I didn't want to make a triple Surprise Ball when I hadn't even made a double and was unsure how stable it would be. So I decided to go ahead and start with a double Surprise Ball for my first attempt and now I know a triple would work just fine. I keep seeing a pop up snowman using a triple, so that will have to get made at some point.



I have more photos and details below the video - if you would like to see the video on a larger scale, click HERE to see it on my YouTube Channel.



I started with this patterned paper that I've had for a couple of years. If you follow my blog it may be familiar to you - when I ordered it I mistakenly ordered THIRTY sheets instead of the THREE I had intended to. I am still working on using it up, ha ha.

I tried team mate Sandy Diller's idea of holding the card closed with a Belly Band, which is another great way to keep the card in the closed position. I made this one fairly loose so it will slide off easily, and wrote "Slide Off" on the back. I also used a butterfly stencil and makeup brushes to add some colour and pattern to the envelope.



While I would usually want dimension on those items on the back wall of the card, I didn't want any catch points in the lacy butterflies and greenery as the balls spring up so everything was glued flat.



With the double Surprise Ball layers and the foam tape - this is a bulky card that I will be hand delivering. 


Supplies:
Blue, black, green and rose card stocks
1117 Surprise Ball Pop Up - Karen Burniston
Patterned paper - Fresh Cut, Basic Grey
White shimmer card stock
Butterfly dies - Lawn Fawn
Butterfly punch - Martha Stewart
Circle dies - Hero Arts
1010 Flower Pot Pop Up - Karen Burniston
1026 Flower and Bee - Karen Burniston
Copic markers
Hologram circle stickers - Stampendous
White glitter card stock (scrap)
1053 Alphabet - Karen Burniston
Acetate
Sakura white gel pen
Happiest of Birthdays stamp - Birthday Blooms, Stampin' Up
MISTI - My Sweet Petunia
1111 - Cheers - Karen Burniston
Butterfly Stencil - Dollar Tree
Makeup brushes

Card size - 6 x 6"


Thanks for stopping by today

3 comments:

  1. Awesome card! Congrats on your exciting YNS news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun card, love the double surprise ball

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your card -- it inspired me to give the double ball a try. And congratulations on your YNS appointment!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I appreciate each one!