Wednesday 28 August 2019

Seahorse Card Duo

Hello my crafty friends

One day last week I worked all morning on a card that I had in my head - and it was just a comedy of errors. It took three times longer than it should have - everything I did was an oops. Finally I decided to just toss it, something that rarely happens. I can usually work through the issue and get something I like but not this time! I did pull off a Distress Oxide inked panel to use on another project but then I had to come up with a card to redeem myself. If for no other reason than I needed to know I could do it! I ended up making two and they went quite quickly so I have no idea what was going on with the one that ended up in the trash. Sheesh.

This is the first card I came up with. It started with a leftover piece of turquoise card stock from the tossed card, and I inked it with dye inks and a splash stencil. Since I'm enjoying using both black card stock and acetate in my card making these days I pulled out those two as well.


What gives this simple card some oomph is that I layered a piece of acetate over the seahorse and splash panel, covering the edges with the black stitched frame. The seahorse is raised up with foam tape which gives the acetate a bit of a curve - it looks really cool in real life. Something else I will definitely try again! Think 'Shaker Card without any filler or foam tape for depth'.

Below you can see the shine from the acetate, which is missing in the photo above. I added sparkly Gumdrops on TOP of the acetate to resemble bubbles. I had tried white but they were very distracting and these ones pick up the blue/green ink used in the splashes.


Here is a peek at the inside:


As I went to tidy up and clean the splash stencil, I decided to use a slightly damp cloth wiping the stencil onto a white card stock panel and ended up with a 'free' background to use for a second card!

I cut the Wavy Panel Die from teal card stock. As I was about to put the fall away pieces into recycling I realized that I could use them at some point so adhered them to a white card stock panel and will use that later on.


The seahorse was adhered to the card with a paper spring for a little 'action', and I added some die cut seaweed and black sequins. I love how the black makes the colours pop.



Finally, here is a look at both cards together.


Here is a link to the YouTube video I use to create the Paper Spring: MayMay Made It Crafts

Supplies:

Seahorse dies - Elizabeth Craft Designs
Black, turquoise and white card stocks
Splash stencil - Taylored Expressions
Makeup Brushes
Acetate
Frame - Lawn Fawn
Pixie Dust Gumdrops - Your Next Stamp
Chameleon Color Tone marker
Seahorse inside - Hero Arts Monthly Club kit for March 2019
Black pen


Wave Panel Die - Your Next Stamp
Splash panel from cleaning the stencil with a damp brush :-)
White, teal and black card stocks
Seahorse die - Elizabeth Craft Designs
Paper Spring
Seaweed dies - Elizabeth Craft Designs
Word Stamps - LJD Birthday Greetings - MFT Stamps
Circle die - Hero Arts
MISTI - My Sweet Petunia
Sakura white gel pen
Seahorse stamp - Hero Arts Monthly Club kit for March 2019
Sequins

Thanks for stopping by today

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I appreciate each one!