Saturday 17 August 2019

Rocket Flip Card

Hello my crafty friends

Today I'm sharing the Birthday Card I made for our nephew's little guy who lives in Arizona. I adore Karen Burniston's Rocket Pop Up and I used it here with my Triple Flip adaptation and a vertical orientation. I am so happy with how it turned out!

When I shared my first card using the Rocket Pop Up, people noticed the background and wondered how I did it. Well I had used wide washi tape and could take no credit for creating such a pretty background. Since the washi tape can be a bit slick and I had trouble getting adhesives to stick to it, I decided to make my own galaxy background panels using Pan Pastels on white card stock. There are  some 'in progress photos' below the finished card ones if you are interested.

They turned out SOOOO good! I rarely post things in the same order I create them, so the backgrounds were actually for the Designer Challenge card in September. I had one leftover panel which I used for this card. I used Stampin' Up's Shimmer Paint to spatter the background after I was finished with the Pan Pastels. On this one I also added some diluted white acrylic paint. For the DC card, I had spatters EVERYWHERE. I think I accidentally spattered a 2 foot radius - it was crazy. So for this one I spread out scrap letter sized paper, thinking that would give me enough room to keep the spatters contained. It didn't - so I think I am going to have to get a box to do any spattering in. I had a lot of cleaning up to do after I was done with these backgrounds! I also tried using a small dot stencil and my finger to rub a little shimmer paint onto the background panel.  NOTE: between the chalk from the Pan Pastels and the hairspray I used to seal these galaxy panels - they were even slicker than the Washi Tape! Ha.


When you pull the tab, the rocket flips to the left and reveals a sentiment and a stitched star. That star was strategically placed to hide the slot that cuts with the Triple Flip - remember it is designed to have three paddles to flip and I only used one here.



Here is a look at the inside. The cute astronaut is on a paper spring for some additional fun.


I have had several requests to do a full YouTube video tutorial but at this point it's beyond my skill level. Instead I took a few photos to show you how I did the Triple Flip adaptation.

Below you can see how I die cut the main Triple Flip die - lining up the far right edge of the die with the panel which was cut to 4-1/4" wide - same as the width of the navy card.


I also added extra foam tape bits above and below the flipper arm to keep it from sagging ...


The small rectangle comes with the Triple Flip die set, and I cut two from navy card stock and sandwiched the paddle in between them. Below is the flipper as it would be in the closed position. It was the perfect base to adhere the rocket too! I cut two identical rockets and sandwiched them with this rectangle in between so it looks good from the front and also when you flip it over.


This is what it looks like when you pull the arm. And you can see the slot that die cuts and needed to be hidden with the stitched star.


I have a little YouTube video to show you the card in action:


Supplies:
Pan Pastels
Hair spray
White, navy, red and off white card stocks
White pearl paint - Stampin' Up
1104 Twist Panel Pop-Up - Karen Burniston
White acrylic paint
1105 Rocket Pop-Up - Karen Burniston
W3 Copic, and W1 Copic
Paper Spring
Astronaut - Space Explorer, MFT Stamps
Clear embossing powder
Sakura white gel pen
Sakura black glaze pen
Nuvo Drops

Thanks for stopping by today

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I appreciate each one!