Tuesday 7 April 2020

March 2020 Karen Burniston Designer Challenge

Hello crafty friends ...


It's time for a Designer Challenge with Karen Burniston's team, and this month the theme is "TREE" - incorporate a tree into a card of any theme. You may choose from any of the Tree die sets (Tree, Evergreen Pivot, Christmas Tree, Christmas Trees Pop Stand, Palm Tree, Oval Frames Heart Tree, Winter Charms, etc.)

I chose the Christmas Trees Pop Stand for my card today, and made a Father's Day card! 

Once the inside was done, I started on the front. The tree on the front is actually the fallaway piece from the centre of the largest Christmas Tree Pop Stand die. Because Pop Stands open completely flat for display, I made sure that everything on the front was nice and flat, even die cutting the word balloon die into the craft panel, then again from white card stock and inlaying it into the opening. If I were to add foam tape to any of the elements (which I love to do), then the card would not display nice and flat.

I like the double stitched line on this die from Nature Edges - I was able to ink the bottom portion of the kraft panel and line it back up with the top piece, which had been inked with Distress Oxide inks & a stencil for the clouds. That give me a nice flat panel but you can see the definition between ground and sky.



Remember you can see all my interactive cards on my YouTube Channel HERE!


The patterned paper was truly the inspiration for this card, which is typically how I work. Those water coloured trees are just so pretty! I off-set the Christmas Tree Pop Stand towards the left which gave me room to add another element to the right of the tree.



The Deer from the Christmas Animals was the perfect addition to this card, which is for our eldest's daughter's hubby. 



Word Set 5 Royalty makes a great sentiment for a Father's Day card, don't you think? I added the Enjoy from the Enjoy the Ride set and we will sign our name beside that.



NOTE:  The fun thing about the dies by Karen Burniston, is that YOU get to choose your card size. While there are ways to make larger cards using a 'standard' sized die cutting machine, for this one I did use a larger machine.

I hope I have shown you how versatile the dies can be, just because a die set is marketed as a Christmas set, it really can work all year long! The rest of the Design Team is linked on the right, be sure to check out what they came up with for the challenge. Karen Burniston will have her project & blog post tomorrow (Wednesday) HERE.

Supplies:
1003 Word Set 2 Birthday (Celebrate) - Karen Burniston
1006 Nature Edges - Karen Burniston
1034 Word Set 5 Royalty - Karen Burniston
1103 Enjoy the Ride - Karen Burniston
1061 Christmas Animals (deer) - Karen Burniston
1045 Outdoor Scene - Karen Burniston
1064 Christmas Trees Pop Stand - Karen Burniston
Card and envelope - Michaels
Patterned paper - Water Color Trees, Paper Studio
Kraft, white and green card stocks
Black marker
Blending Brushes - Taylored Expressions
Sakura black glaze and white gel pens
Posca White Paint Pen
Coloured Pencil
Copic Markers
Word bubble die - Riley & Company
Distress Oxide inks
Cloud mask - Heffy Doodle
Stamp on back - Riley & Company

Card size - 6.5 x 5", fits in a 5 x 7' envelope

Thanks for stopping by today

1 comment:

  1. love how you used this tree for Father's Day rather than Christmas

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I appreciate each one!