Sunday 8 December 2019

Pop Up Penguin Christmas Card

Hello my crafty friends

Today I'm sharing a card that I made using the new Parcel Pop Up along with the new Flap and Closure, both by Karen Burniston. It's mostly white on white with one of the whites being a super sparkly glitter card stock. I love some sparkle on my holiday cards!



Here is a short YouTube video so you can see the card in action - it's always more fun that way, and also easier to see how the mechanism works. Note that not just the igloo slides up and down out of the snowbanks, but also the penguins on either side!!  More details are below the video.



As usual, I finished the card front after the inside was done. I did plan out where to stamp the penguin, but forgot about the circle flap so his beak is covered up until you open the flap. I decided to be OK with it though - no way I was going to start over or even start pulling it apart to swap out the stamped panel. I had waaaaaay too much time invested in this one!



I also used two magnets to hold the flap closed, since the card is larger than A2 and the card stock is on the thicker side.



To create the arms for the penguins, I die cut the second largest Crosshatch Circle from Acetate, then traced the inside edge of the 3rd largest Crossatch Circle onto the acetate circle. Once the circle was cut in half, I simply fussy cut along my traced line to give me to acetate arcs to animate the penguins.

The cute scarf comes from the Winter Animals, and the hat from the Christmas Animals. They fit perfectly!





TIP: If the recipient were to open the card further than 45 degrees, there was a possibility that the penguins feet would come above the snowbanks and create a catch point preventing the card from closing without creasing or tearing the penguins. My solution was to add an acetate strip to their feet than hangs down into the centre of the card. How long you make this strip would depend on how high up you mount your images, or how big they are. But this solution works like a charm.







I know just who this card is going to ;-)

Supplies
Heavyweight white card stock
1116 - Parcel Pop Up - Karen Burniston
1118 Flap & Closurep - Karen Burniston
White glitter card stock - Craft N Craftin'
Playful Penguin stamps - Stampin' Up
Black Glaze and white gel pens - Sakura
White and red cad stocks
1006 Nature Edges - Karen Burniston
Iglo die - Your Next Stamp
Scotch Tape
1057 Circles Crosshatch - Karen Burniston
Acetate
1061 Christmas Animals (hat) - Karen Burniston
1016 Winter Animals (scarf)- Karen Burniston
1-65 Merry Christmas - Karen Burniston
Words inside - Hero Arts
MISTI
Stitched snowflake dies - Lawn Fawn
1062 Evergreen Pivot (snowflake on front) - Karen Burniston
Black marker

Card size - 7 x 5", fits in a 5 x 7" envelope


Thanks for stopping by today

4 comments:

  1. A wonderful pop up creation - I saw another person using acrylic for pop ups - it works fabulous! Love these penguins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you tell me how to do it in detail?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Anonymous. I used the new Parcel Pop Up die set by Karen Burniston, which I will link for you. Karen B has an assembly video right on the product page! As for the additional arms I added, I don't have a tutorial for that yet. Hope that helps! https://karenburniston.com/parcel-pop-up/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I appreciate each one!