Monday 22 July 2019

Cactus Birthday Peek A Boo Card

Hello my crafty friends

Today is Masculine Card Monday here on my blog and I'm sharing the one and only 'Peek-A-Boo' card I'll ever make. While I was very happy with how the card turned out, when I showed hubby and he couldn't open it properly TWICE I started having doubts about it. Apparently you have to hold these cards 'just so' or they don't slide properly. I don't want to have to send directions with a card - people should be able to open a card on their own, without instruction. I would be hand delivering this one, so I could walk our SIL through the process, but I found that very frustrating.

While this is not a new idea, nor is it Jennifer McGuire's - she did post a video late last year with a great tutorial and very concise measurements and directions. I used her video to create the card. Then when it all sorta came apart when hubby tried to open it I went back to YouTube and used Glenda Cairns** idea of adding a sliding belly band. Works much slicker, but our son-in-law wasn't able to open it without my input so this style of card is definitely a fail in my book. 

This is the front of the card, and you can see the cactus and 'happy birthday' through the window.


When you open the card, a panel slides over the first image in the window and reveals a second image. For this card, it was a different potted cactus with the words 'looking' sharp!'.


Below you can see the second panel sliding over the first. This card works really well IF YOU HOLD IT PROPERLY, but otherwise the layers separate easily and the recipient could be left with something he/she has no idea how to reassemble.



Below you can see Glenda's belly band idea and if nothing else, it holds all the layers together so it doesn't all come apart. It was a great fix for that.


** You can see Glenda's 2016 YouTube Video HERE

Supplies:
Grey, white card stock
Cactus stamps - Newton's Nook
Dashing rectangle dies - Elizabeth Craft Designs
Happy Birthday - MFT Stamps
Patterned paper - Scrapbook.com
Celebrate 3D Drop-ins, Stephanie Barnard - Sizzix & The Stamps of Life
Label punch - Stampin' Up
Cactus and Pot dies - Concord & 9th
Enamel dots - Echo Park
Copics

Thanks for stopping by today

1 comment:

  1. another fun cacti card. I made a peek a boo card a few years back and think it will be my one and only too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I appreciate each one!