Wednesday 7 October 2020

Halloween Shutter Card


Hello crafty friends ...

I won't go into a lot of detail here, since I have a walkthrough of this fun interactive shutter card on YouTube HERE.  


The laminated ghost was in a baggie of VERY OLD Halloween elements I had been putting together many years ago. If I had leftover pieces from my Halloween cards they went into that baggie and this year I'm going through it and using some of them up. I'm also tossing the ones that I doubt I'll ever use! The black glittered circle is the fallaway piece from the glittered circle frame inside the card - I added it and the decorated ghost to a Belly Band to keep the card closed. The recipient simply slides off the Belly Band and opens the two sides for the fun reveal.


When the card opens, the shutters slide apart to reveal a spider web and BOO!  

Shutter cards are not new, and several companies have dies that make them. I haven't invested in any shutter card dies though, since the openings are either too small for my taste, or they require a 6" square card which I rarely make because of the cost to mail them here. I'm picky about how I spend my crafting dollars!

I can't even tell you how excited I was to find the YouTube video by Sam Calcott where her shutter card tutorial makes a 5 x 7" card with a 2-1/2" opening. SCORE!!!!!  (I linked her video in the supply list below). I am always happy to make a card that is larger than A2 so a 5 x 7" card is right up my alley.


You know I love to use acetate on my cards, so I added a piece over the spider web patterned paper and die cut BOO! to mimic the glass on a camera lens. 


Hopefully you can see the shine from the vinyl glittered stickers and glittery patterned paper in the photo below!


The stickers have been in my stash for a couple of years and I adhered them to card stock then fussy cut them out.

I had SOOO much fun making this card, and as I said in the video I immediately knew this is what I wanted to make for our nieces upcoming wedding. That card will be shared this month too. I had to put the shutter card idea away for awhile because of Design Team obligations, but I will be making more of these for sure.

Supplies:
Patterned paper - Midnight Magic, Recollections
Various card stocks - stash
1013 Halloween Elements (BOO!) - Karen Burniston
Acetate Scraps
Circle die - Hero Arts
Stitched Circle Frame - Lawn Fawn
Stickers - old, stash
Large Ghost - Azadi Earles 
Happy Halloween - printed on photo paper years ago
1057 Circles Crosshatch - Karen Burniston

Card size - 5 x 7", fits in a standard A7 envelope

Thanks for stopping by today

3 comments:

  1. That is a great Halloween card. I like the shutter card style

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning.

    Found you on Pinterest and am now following you on YouTube. I love this card! I see so many possibilities with a stamp set I bought several years ago and have yet to use. LOL Sound familiar?

    I belong to a weekly blog hop. Would love to have you join us! Just check out any Wednesday post on my blog for the details.

    Creative Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I appreciate each one!