Tuesday 6 February 2018

It's Good To Be "U", Designer Challenge Card.

Good morning friends

Welcome to Karen Burniston's February 2018 Designer Challenge! This month our theme is "CASTLE" - use the new Castle Pop-up for a card of any theme. Will it be a fairy princess castle? A sand castle? The Eyrie? You decide! 

Below is the front of my card. I trimmed a foiled journal card from the paper stack, and mounted it to the front of my card along with a panel of patterned paper. The "It's Good To Be" banner is from the new WORD SET 5 ROYALTY. There are several different word options you can insert inside the banner when you cut it, and here I've used the 'It's Good To Be' one.   The crab is from the new SEA ANIMALS set, and he is holding the letter "U".


The "U" was trimmed away from the word QUEEN, which is also included in the Word Set 5 Royalty set.


Inside I have an underwater castle scene!  

This will be for our Grandson's birthday, so I added a '6' and the 'th' from the new NUMBERS set. I like that you can personalize a Pop-Up with these cool numbers. And I cannot, CANNOT believe that Ethan is going to be six!



Below is another view of my underwater scene. I added the cute Sea Turtle and Crab from the SEA ANIMALS die set, more of the WORD SET 5 ROYALTY words, the CASTLE from the Castle Pop-Up, the HAPPY BIRTHDAY (yes, again. I love this die!), and everything is adhered to the Floating Floor from the House & Fence die set. 



I used the PRINCESS & MERMAID die set, to create a Merman with a few snips of my scissors. He has a crown (because he IS a King, you know), and a Sword from the Tiny Accessories 1 set. I also added a gold crown and seashell above the word 'Day'.




I like how the SEA TURTLE and CRAB look like they are floating in behind the castle wall.


There is lots of dimension to this card, but I wasn't worried about how thick it was since I will be giving it to the Birthday Boy in person. I also want to point out that the castle top does stick out from the bottom a little. I'm fine with it, Ethan won't notice and the card will be displayed open so it isn't an issue. But if I wanted to be sure it was entirely hidden when using the Floating Floor base, I would make the finished card 5-3/4" or 6" deep. This one is 5-1/2" deep.

I hope you will check out what the rest of the Design Team has come up with for the challenge - this CASTLE POP-UP die set is really something! Their blogs are linked on the right. Karen Burniston will have her project tomorrow (Wednesday) on her blog.

Supplies:
Patterned paper - Craft Smith
Champagne foil card stock - Stampin' Up
Twine
Teal, navy, kraft and oatmeal card stocks

Card size - 5 x 5-1/2"

Thanks for stopping by today
SaveSave

3 comments:

  1. you surprise me all day with such wonderful cards!

    Elma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant use of the floating floor to create an underwater scene! The paper is perfect and the mer-king, oh my! Just spotted the seashell draw bridge. The sea creatures, all the details and Love that went into making this card. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing underwater scene

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I appreciate each one!