Tuesday 5 March 2024

Cake & Candles Pop Up Card


I have my set up for 'card photo & videos' on our dining room table - but we were having houseguests for the week and I knew we'd be eating our meals in there. So I had to take it all down, but then had to scramble to take photos of this card. 

I made it for a friend - I had already made her a special card that has disappeared into the universe somewhere. When I went to get it ready to add with her gift - I couldn't find it ANYwhere. Sheesh. I made her another one and if I ever find the first - I'll be ahead for next year. 😂

I took these photos outside - but the holographic cardstock just doesn't show up like it does under my camera set up. The front features a scalloped oval stamped with a birthday cake & sentiment. It was popped up with foam tape then I cut the daisy row several times from Karen Burniston's Twist Flower Pop Up using Rainbow Holographic cardstock. I tucked the daisy's under the scalloped oval, trimming the extra daisy's as needed. Oh, how I wish you could see the shine from those daisy's!


My card base started as a 12 x 5" piece of teal card stock, scored down the centre at 6". That gave me a 6 x 5" folded card. For my first play with Karen Burniston's Birthday Candle Add Ons, I decided to try adding it directly inside my card. It is intended to work with the Fancy Label Accordion (which looks REALLY cool) but I knew I had to try it this way at least once. I do love to share different ways and looks you can get from your dies, since they are an investment.


In the photo below, you can see the score line on the left side of the Add-On. (You can click on a photo to open it up in a separate window if you wish to see them larger.) I scored it on each side, right on the end of the curve then worked all the folds of the Birthday Candle Add On so it would work easily inside the card. 

Opening the card up flat and lining up the center score lines of both the card and the Add On, I added glue to the outside of those two score lines and adhered them inside the card keeping those centre fold lines lined up. I did let the glue set for a minute or two before I re-worked the folds and then I could decorate the Add On piece. I like that it opens up flat for adding the candles & decorating or you could get those added after you've worked the folds and before you adhere it inside your card.


Since I wanted a little more sparkle, I added more of the rainbow holographic daisy's behind the Add On and Stickles glitter glue to the candle flames. The lines and dots on the candles were drawn over with a Sakura Stardust pen for subtle shimmer.  I added borders on each side & from the Border Blends Trims die set (Karen Burniston). The sentiments were stamped and punched out before adding to the card then I added a few more of the leftover daisy's. The larger daisy's were trimmed from the daisy border - easy peasy.


People always turn this type of card over to view it from the top - so here is a photo showing that view!



Supplies used:
Birthday Candle Add Ons - Karen Burniston
Border Blends - Trims, Karen Burniston
Sakura Stardust pen
Daisy's - Twist Flower Pop Up
Yellow and green markers
Stickles glitter glue
Heartfelt Hexagon stamps and punch - Stampin' Up
Words inside - Cake Fancy, Stampin' Up
Lacy Ovals - Waffle Flower


2 comments:

  1. I don't have the fancy accordian die as yet, but have the Sizzix 658035 which Karen designed. It doesn't fit quite right with the hearts add on and the candles add on, so I was very happy to see your card w/o using the accordian. Love all the daisies too. Thanks, Carol Scherzinger

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I appreciate each one!