Saturday 22 July 2017

C4C395 Adirondack Birthday Pop-Up Card

Good morning friends

It's Saturday so that means a new challenge at the Crazy 4 Challenges Blog. Our July 2017 Hostess is Maryann Einam with Kristine Reynolds joining us as our Guest Designer all month. You can see Kristine's blog HERE.

Here is Maryann's challenge: Today is Hammock Day on the Days of the year calendar, what a wonderful way to relax.....create a card with the theme of relaxation in mind.


I wanted to make a Birthday card for our eldest daughter, and have to admit this card took a long time. But it was raining outside and I wasn't feeling all that great. So a whole morning spent in my craft room was warranted. As usual, I didn't have a set plan for the card - I just start with something and keep building until I'm happy with it. Apparently I just felt like doing a lot of building with this one!

Of course I also wanted to play with some of my new goodies - namely the new dies by Karen Burniston and my Color Burst/Magical Shakers. In fact, the whole card started by sprinkling the powders on regular green card stock and spritzing with water just to see if it would blend enough to give me something I liked. Which it did! I used the largest piece inside the card, but also made sure there was enough to cut the tree foliage from the new Tree Pop-Up set. 

Having had good success with the green card stock, I tried a little of the water colour powders on a white card stock panel for the front of the card but wasn't as happy with the result. However, I used a grass stencil** and some dye ink in places and was much happier with it so continued on with the rest of the card front.
**Grass stencil was cut with an older Karen Burniston Outdoor Edges grass die from a scrap of card stock. It works great to drag colour over to create an inked grass border or clumps.



When I think of a relaxation card, I also think of Karen Burniston's older Adirondack Chair Pop-Up so used that inside. I had wanted to try using the pop-up arm mechanism from the new Katherine Label in a different way so placed that to the left of the chair. Then I added Virgil the pig wearing glasses and a party hat onto the pop-up arm - my daughter likes pigs!



Really, Virgil is pretty cute even without the party accessories. I was able to add a die cut Happy Birthday word balloon and added a die cut heart to that. There is a lot going on in this card!



I added some more of the water coloured foliage to the top back of the card. and a balloon from the Birthday Charm set onto the chair.



I added the included tiny heart over the charm hole on the balloon then wound 2 ply of Bakers Twine around the balloon stem and through a chair slat.



The fun thing about Color Burst/Magical Shaker water colour powder, is that you never know what you are going to get and it's impossible to duplicate something. Every piece is new and original, and my results are always unpredictable - which I love about them.

Check out the C4C blog to see how the Crazies have been inspired by the challenge. We'd  love to see your take on it, so be sure to stop by the Crazy 4 Challenges blog and link up your creations. If you are uploading to an online gallery, please use the keyword C4C395.

Supplies:
White, blue, green, red, brown, pink and yellow card stocks
Adirondack Chair Pop-Up, Pop it Ups - Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
1005 Tree Pop-Up - Karen Burniston
Terre Verte Color Burst 
Bratwurst Brown Magical Shaker
1011 Katherine Label Pop-Up - Karen Burniston
Virgil the Pig, Pop it Ups - Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
Props 2 (party hat), Pop it Ups - Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
Props 5 (glasses), Pop it Ups - Karen Burniston (Elizabeth Craft Designs)
Stitched ovals - MFT Stamps
1006 Nature Edges - Karen Burniston
Small Adirondack chair die - Impression Obsession
Stitched fishtail banner dies - Elizabeth Craft Designs
1003 Word Set 2 - Birthday - Karen Burniston
Stickles
1004 Birthday Charms (balloon & tiny heart) - Karen Burniston
Twist Panel Pop-Up (medium heart) - Karen Burniston

Card size - 7 x 5"


Thanks for stopping by today

2 comments:

  1. such a fun card, good to see the adirondack chair out again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card!
    Elma

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I appreciate each one!